“Little Data” Report – Malauzai Software, Inc. Mobile Banking Usage Data
Austin, TX, August, 2015
Malauzai Software, a leader in mobile and Internet banking, today released its monthly Monkey Insights “little-data” report, the report where an overwhelming amount of big data surrounding mobile banking is broken up into digestible analytic “factoids” that we like to call little data. The report highlights key trends in mobile banking usage based on June 2015 data for 340+ banks & credit unions, covering 5.9 million logins from 350,000+ active mobile banking users.
Feature Usage: Most Used vs. Least Used
- Top 5 Mobile Banking Features. This usage data demonstrate that users consumers take advantage of the ease-of-use and easy access of mobile to review transactions and complete money movement. It is interesting to note that iPhone users tend to perform more transfers and deposits than Android users. However, the analytics show that the number of users reviewing transactions is about equal across platforms.
Most Used Features & Users
|View Transfer History||233,208||71,876|
|View Transaction History||227,601||66,834|
|View Check/Deposit Image||152,894||47,299|
- Least Used (but IMPORTANT to Have) Features. We thought it would be interesting to reverse the analysis and research the usage data on the least used features. Not because we want to highlight what people aren’t using, but emphasize that while many features aren’t being used as much as others, people still come to expect a robust mobile offering. Banks and credit unions can take advantage of these opportunities to provide as much access as possible. So what are these features people aren’t using very often?
|Retake Picture Pay Photo||62||35|
|Main Marketing Message||4,322||3,286|
- Retake Picture Pay Photo. Picture Payments have increased at a monthly rate of 11.93% over the last year. Offering the ability to retake a picture when needed is a requirement, but the data indicates that the frictionless nature of paying bills and adding payees with the camera rarely requires a user to retake/resubmit a bill photo.
- Main Marketing Message. With only 4,322 uses or click-throughs, the marketing message may currently appear to have limited value. However, mobile banking users are a captive audience and are specifically engaging with their app. The marketing message provides not only impressions of the ad, but an ideal targeted cross-sell opportunity.
- Contact Us & Branch Locator. Despite the fact that these are on the least used feature list, they do see some action, with the on-the-go nature of mobile, it is very important to provide end-users local branch and ATM access. End-users expect this functionality, as it is a parity feature with other mobile applications that provide geo-location information on-demand.
As mobile banking adoption grows, it’s interesting to explore how features are being used, and which features are surpassing others in popularity. So, should the least frequently used functions go away? The answer is definitely “no.” Many of these options are ones consumers simply expect. Banks and credit unions should supply consumers with as much access via their mobile device as possible, and the choice to determine what features they want, and when they want them.
Malauzai Software, Inc. – Proprietary and Confidential